Monthly Archives: May 2017

Cute Little Booties

I was in-between crochet projects when the neighbours daughter gave birth to their first grand-daughter.  I had seen on Pintrest a set of booties that were consider quick and extremely easy to make, so I thought I’d whip up a couple of pairs.

Crossover Booties 1I have to say that I didn’t find the pattern very easy to follow, which seems surprising when you know that it’s a basic “T” shape, but I couldn’t understand the “ch 2” at the beginning of each row and then skipping the first SC from the previous row.  If you google “Crossover Booties for Crochet” you’ll easily find the pattern which is by Louise Mac.  I ended up ditching my efforts and searched for an alternative pattern.

I found another pattern on You Tube that used Half Double Crochet stitches, and logically the pattern made more sense to me.  This pattern is by Jayda Institches and are called Wrap-Style booties.  You can find the video here.

The second pair that I made were with 4 ply Merino yarn.  I followed the basics of the pattern, but converted it to:

Ch 41, DC 39 x 4 rows.
ST into the 4th row to start the middle section.  I can’t remember exactly which stitch I used, but I’m sure you can work it out.  Then DC 9 stitches x 7 rows.  I made some cute little flowers and stitched them on.

Crossover Booties 2

They certainly are extremely cute, and I think that you could easily adjust the pattern to make different sized booties.  And there would of course be lots of fun options for little motifs to attach to them.

Advertisements

Cable Stitch using Crochet

Cable Blanket 2I wanted to challenge myself with some new patterns, and so found a pattern for a blanket that produced a cable effect that I’ve only previously associated with knitting.

I had a good look around the internet and on Ravelry and decided on the “Cable your Love” Blanket by Nirmal Khalsa which you can find on Ravelry.

My original plan was to make an entire blanket in one colour, which I’ve never done before.  But half way through making it, I had to put the project on hold and whip up a baby blanket for someone who’s baby had arrived early (i.e. I hadn’t yet made their blanket).  I used some of the yellow yarn, and knew that I wasn’t going to have enough to finish the Cable stitch blanket.  I couldn’t risk buying some more and having a different batch that didn’t quite match…something that is really obvious when it’s all one colour.  So, I added two white panels, and as far as the stitches went, the end result was that only the middle panel was according to the pattern.  I just mixed and matched the cable stitches from the pattern for the thinner panels.

I hemmed it with a simple *dc 2, ch 2, dc 2* in every 4th stitch, then a second row of single crochets.

Cable Blanket 1

The final product was quite a heavy blanket, which is really only one sided.  It was great to give something new a go, and initially I did find it quite challenging so mission accomplished! 🙂