A few months ago I made a blue scarf. I had found a pretty lace edge to put on the ends, but when I was making it, it really didn’t look very good…you couldn’t see the pattern at all. I decided to ‘block’ it, but was too lazy to Google what that really meant or how I should go about it. So, one ironing board, iron, and several pins later, my scarf took on a whole new look. Unfortunately I didn’t think to take a ‘before’ photo, but here is the finished product. You can clearly see the pattern.
My latest project is a cushion, made with Granny Squares (well, really Granny Rectangles). It will be made up of a variety of lace pattern rectangles, and again I have had the issue where you can’t always clearly see the pattern, and there are uneven edges. So, out came the ironing board, iron, and several pins… . This time I took before, during and after photos for you to see. Note that I pushed the pins so they were flat then used the steam function on my iron.
Blocked with pins
It is amazing the difference it makes to the general shape and definition of the pattern.
My method might not be quite right (yip, I still haven’t Googled it) but it works for me 🙂