The other day I had the pleasure of catching up with a school friends brother. We hadn’t seen each other for years, but fell into easy conversation like we’d seen each other just the week before. Our ‘excuse’ for the catch up was for us to share a coffee made with his newly gifted coffee machine. Since I’ve had one for more than a decade, I offered to give him some tips on how to froth milk 🙂
It would probably come as no surprise to those who know me well, that I was quickly inspired to dig out an old recipe I had for biscotti. I also got thinking about how Biscotti is one of those unique baked goods that you would only ever think to eat with coffee. No one says “Hey, want some Biscotti with your tea?” Or “Hmm, a slice of Biscotti would go great with this orange juice”. I might have to give this more thought over another coffee dunked piece of Biscotti!
My original recipe is actually Lemon and Almond Biscotti, which is equally as delicious as my “Am Woman, Must Eat Chocolate” version. Below is my recipe, and below that are the quantities for the Lemon and Almond if that is more your thing. If you don’t have Dutch Processed Cocoa, you can use ‘normal’ cocoa, but you won’t get the same depth of flavor or color.
Double Chocolate Biscotti
3 C Flour
3 T Dutch Processed Cocoa
1 t Baking Powder
½ t Baking Soda
1 t Salt
¾ C Sugar
½ C Chocolate Bits (plus that little bit extra just because it’s Chocolate!)
- Sift together the first 5 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light in colour.
- Slowly add dry ingredients.
- Add Chocolate bits and mix gently.
- Turn out and knead until smooth (about 2 minutes) on a lightly floured board.
- Divide into two and shape into ‘flat’ logs (about 2.5cm high).
- Bake at 165oC for 25-30 minutes (a skewer should come out clean).
- Leave to cool completely, and then cut 1.5cm slices diagonally.
- Lie in single layer on 2 baking trays and toast in oven at 150oC for 20-30 minutes.
Lemon and Almond Biscotti
Replace Cocoa and Chocolate Bits with:
1 T Lemon Zest
1 ½ t Lemon Juice
1 C Toasted Whole Blanched Almonds
Add first two ingredients before step 3.
Add Almonds at step 4